Quick Ways to Beat Stress
Are you stressing a little more these days without tobacco? Do you find yourself snacking, overeating or maybe biting your nails instead? A lot of tobacco users turn to tobacco when they want a break from the stress of life. But now that you quit, instead of letting stress win, try at least one of these quick tricks to help lower your overall stress:
- Crush your workout. Exercise can reduce stress. Each week, schedule at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise (that’s just 30 minutes, five times a week!) or 75 minutes of high intensity exercise. As a bonus, exercising also takes your mind off tobacco!
- Eat a healthy diet. If you’re going to help your body breathe better by giving up tobacco, take the time to eat right too. You’ll have more energy and a clearer mind. Eating healthy foods will also help you fight weight gain during your quit!
- Don’t forget about sleep. Get good sleep when you can. Feeling tired can make you cranky, lead to more stress and increase tobacco cravings. Try drinking hot tea or putting electronics away 30 minutes before bed, and you’re bound to de-stress!
- Breathe in, breathe out. Practicing breathing can help you reduce stress and improve your mood. Count to five while inhaling through your nose, and then back down to one slowly as you exhale through your mouth and repeat. Or try progressive muscle relaxation by tensing and then relaxing muscle groups, starting from the top of your head all the way down to your toes.
- Talk yourself up. When you really want to use tobacco, remind yourself, “I want to quit more than I want to use tobacco right now.” It might seem silly, but positive self-talk is important to keep you on track. Remember, YOU GOT THIS!
- Take a quick walk. When you have ten minutes, grab a buddy, send some texts or call a friend to talk through anything that’s stressing you out. If you’re able, go outside for a walk to get some fresh air and clear your mind.
Stress is a natural part of life and isn’t always a bad thing. Take it one day at a time and watch yourself crush living tobacco free.