Don’t Let Quitting Go to Your Gut
A few pounds are a small price to pay for overall improved health and appearance. To help you keep weight gain to a minimum when you quit tobacco, try some of these tips:
- Chew on sugar-free gum, toothpicks or low-calorie snacks like carrots and apples.
- Get seven to nine hours of sleep when possible. Too little or too much sleep increases hunger and slows metabolism.
- Manage stress by sharing your feelings, practicing deep breathing or spending time relaxing.
- Drink water in between meals. Sometimes you may think you’re hungry when you’re actually thirsty. Drink up!
- Up your workout routine to help manage tobacco cravings and burn extra calories.
- Avoid extra calories by controlling portion sizes, making healthy choices and limiting alcohol intake.
Remember, the benefits you get from quitting tobacco far outweigh (see what we did there) any weight you gain while going through the quit process.
Check out the infographic Fight Weight Gain During a Quit [PDF 394KB].