Are Triggers Killing Your Vibe?
Picture this: You just quit tobacco and you’re meeting your buddies at a bar. So far so good. Some of them step outside for a smoke, and without thinking your hand reaches for a pack. These types of situations can make you want to use tobacco because old habits die hard. But, you can take steps to beat triggers like a pro!
Talking to yourself might seem like a joke, but it works. Say to yourself “Heck yeah – I got this!” and power through those cravings one at a time.
Steer Clear of Triggers
Here are a few examples of the triggers that can make you want to use tobacco and how you can fight them:
- DTUAs. Avoid designated tobacco use areas (DTUAs) when you take a break. Instead, ask a co-worker or teammate for a walking meeting when you need some time away. Limit yourself to areas where tobacco use is not allowed.
- Smoky bars or clubs. Stay away from the bars and clubs you’d hit up with your smoking buddies. Choose a tobacco free activity, like going to the movies or out to eat at a smoke-free restaurant.
- Alcohol. Alcohol can be a trigger that makes you want to use tobacco and can lower your willpower. Instead of drinking alcohol (I know – there are other options?), try a mocktail, fresh juice, water or seltzer instead.
Have a Plan
You won’t be able to avoid every situation that can make you want to use tobacco, but you can prepare in advance. Here are some tips:
- Get ready to say ‘no’ – a lot. In your quit plan, you wrote down how to say no to tobacco. Practice your lines and then actually use them. The more you say no, the easier it will get.
- Have an escape plan ready. If a situation becomes too hard to say no to tobacco, including e-cigarettes, get the heck out of there. Say you have an early morning workout, a date or just be honest – whatever works for you. Plan ahead so you can get home on your own safely.
- Stick to your support group. Spend more time with friends and family who know you’re quitting and support you. At a time like this, there’s nothing better than being with the ones who care the most about you.
Want to learn more about the different types of triggers? Get all the info you need to tackle triggers like a champ. And remember – when you steer clear of tobacco, give yourself some much-deserved kudos.”